The International Positive Psychology Association is in the process of developing a new professional division focused on the topic of positive education. IPPAEd is a member-initiated special interest group that bridges research and practice, convenes diverse cultural and multidisciplinary perspectives, and provides a platform for members to connect and collaborate on efforts that advance our mission.
The Division will bridge research and practice related to the application of positive psychology in formal and informal educational settings, and facilitate collaboration with members from around the world. The Division will support activities related to curriculum, pedagogy, administration, support services, and education systems, with the goal of supporting the well-being, character, and resilience of students, staff and educational communities.
- Chair: Dr. Margaret (Peggy) Kern, Senior Lecturer Centre for Positive Psychology Melbourne Graduate School of Education The University of Melbourne.
- Membership Lead: Charles Scudamore, Vice Principal at Geelong Grammar School in Victoria, Australia
- World Congress Lead: Associate Professor Mathew A. White, Director of Wellbeing & Positive Education, St Peter’s College – Adelaide; Principal Fellow, Centre for Positive Psychology Melbourne Graduate School of Education The University of Melbourne.
Ways to Get Involved:
I. Join the division to receive updates.
Division membership is open to any IPPA member. To join the division, simply update your member profile. Log in to your IPPA profile and click Edit/View Information. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the section with information about our current professional division(s). Click the box next to the Division name and click “save.”
II. Volunteer to help with special projects.
Click here to learn about current volunteer opportunities with the IPPAEd division.
To ask a question, learn more or volunteer for a leadership role, please email: email@example.com.
III. Review the Division Charter
Dr. Margaret Kern developed the initial charter with consultation from Carmelo Vazquez, Dianne Vella Brodrick, Angela Duckworth, Ilona Boniwell, Martin Seligman, Hans Henrik Knoop, and Herb Marsh.
IV. Apply to Serve on the Steering Committee.
The role of a steering committee is to design the vision and infrastructure needed to successfully establish the division and set it up for success in its first year. Steering Committee members will:
- Contribute to the development of the charter
- Recruit and communicate with intrested members
- Support the process to identify a strong leadership team, including Officers: President, President-Elect and Secretary, and volunteers
- Keep track of meeting notes, and communicate with IPPA leadership
- Identify key goals for 2016/2017 and contribute to initiatives such as a newsletter, award and division-led programming at the Fifth World Congress on Positive Psychology in 2017.
Committee members should expect to volunteer an average of one hour a week for a period of 3 months. If you have a question, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.